The duties of a tow truck operator consist of communicating with a dispatcher, driving to the location of the vehicle, connecting the vehicle to the tow truck, and transporting it to the correct location. Drivers will interact with customers, speaking to them about their automotive problems and concerns. As such, a tow truck operator will need to be able to communicate well and will need to have basic vehicle knowledge.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Accountable for Maintenance of the Tow Truck
- Communicating with management regarding vehicle maintenance (oil changes, brakes, fluid levels, lights etc.) Maintenance checks need to be performed the start of each shift.
- Responsible for keeping exterior and interior of vehicle clean. No smoking in company vehicles.
- Report any vehicle damage immediately to management.
- Accountable for all company tows
- When there is a tow needed you will be contacted by the tow dispatcher. Always check in with the tow dispatcher when a tow is complete for your next assignment.
- If requested, call customers when you are on your way with an accurate ETA.
- Use proper safety measures when loading and unloading vehicles
- Keep a log of miles and services performed for tow bills.
- Attach cables, chains or other equipment and winch the vehicle to towing elevation or onto the truck flatbed. Connect any necessary lights to the back of the vehicle.
- Must observe all traffic laws and drive at a safe speed for the weather and road conditions.
- Tasks when there are no tows available include but are not limited to
- Taking out trash
- Cutting up cardboard
- Taking parts to the parts bin.
- Parking lot maintenance
- Maintaining the overall cleanliness of the shop
- Other Duties as assigned
- Accountable for company policy adherence.
- Complete all assigned tows in a timely manner following proper safety measures.
- Adopt work habits that are in accordance with the Company Employee Handbook.
- Other duties as assigned per Tow Dispatcher
Experience & Skill Requirements
- Driving and operating a flatbed tow truck: 2 years
- Skills & Abilities Requirements:
- Work independently without close supervision.
- Flexible / adaptable to constant change.
- Strong customer service skills
- Clean driving record
- Physical Requirements:
- General Physical Skills (Carrying, Lifting – 100 lbs., Squatting, Kneeling, Pushing, Standing, Sitting, Walking, Reaching, Pulling extensively)
- Repetitive motion
- Work is performed mostly outside in all weather conditions
Car Craft is an innovative leader in auto body repair in the St. Louis area. Car Craft Hazelwood is our fourth and newest location, with three more locations in Oakville, Chesterfield, and Bridgeton. We have been in business for since 1963, with a professional office staff and ASE-certified and I-CAR-trained technicians.